Boost Immunity and Balance Blood Sugar with these Blue Magic Detox Bars!
So I told myself that this wasn’t going to be a recipe blog. Don’t get me wrong, I love LOVE to cook, but I just feel like there are so many people who do it so well! Just trying to stay in my lane, you know what I mean? HOWEVER, this bar is not some run of the mill bar. This is functional nutrition at its core! They’re packed with superfoods like Spirulina, Gingko, Chia seeds, and Goji berries that are energizing, detoxing, and immune boosting. These bars are full of healthy fats, anti-oxidants, and vitamins to balance our blood sugar and keep us satiated. I like these before a workout to hold me over until breakfast, or as a midday snack. They’re tasty, low in sugar, and look really f*cking cool. Not that that matters, but it’s fun to snack pretty, right? The blue adaptogenic coconut butter I used is called Smarty Pantsuit from Pearl butter. Get it here!
- Spirulina is on of the most nutrient dense foods on planet. It's packed with vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients. Good stuff like protein and iron, b-vitamins, and it has gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is unlike many omega 6 fatty acids in that it is highly anti-inflammatory. This superstar is also involved in hormone regulation. Check out this article I wrote for MBG if you want to learn more about GLA and balancing your hormones!
- Ginkgo is a powerful anti-oxidant and is great for supporting blood flow to the brain.
- Goji berries contain all 8 essential amino acids and are full of antioxidants, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Chia seeds may be small, but pack a punch. They are rich in fat, protein, and fiber and contain calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and B vitamins! ALSO loaded with Anti-oxidants! I’m sensing a theme here….
- 1 cup- unsalted raw cashews
- 1 cup- shredded unsweetened coconut
- ⅓ cup- Pearl Butter Coconut butter in Smarty Pantsuit
- 2 tbsp- coconut oil
- ¼ cup- chia seeds
- 5- pitted dates
- 1 tsp- vanilla extract
- Optional- 1 tsp maple syrup to sweeten
- ¼ cup- goji berries to top
Spoon out the pearl butter and coconut oil into a bowl. Lightly heat the pearl butter and coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted (1-2 times should do it).
Put the melted coconut butter and coconut oil into a food processor with the rest of the dry ingredients (except for the gojis!!) and pulse until combined.
Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using your hands and spread until about ¼ inch thick and press evenly into the pan. Sprinkle the goji berries on top and lightly press them into the mixture. Place in the freezer for about 30 min- hour, or until hardened. Cut into squares and enjoy!! Store in the fridge.
Hope you enjoy!! If you make these bars, tag @ritualandroutine on instagram so that I can see! As always, let me know what you think in the comments!
Happy thursday babes :)